Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Desert Is Getting Greener

It's time to go hiking! There are lots of trails near the Superstition Mountains in Apache Junction. The moonlight hike we went on earlier started inside Lost Dutchman State Park and required a $7 entrance fee. But if you go just past the park, and turn on First Water Road, there are lots of free beautiful trailheads.


This hike started about a half mile up the road at Crosscut Trailhead. Lots of beautiful cactus, and even a few flowers.


On the way back, you get a view of Four Peaks Mountain in the distance.


Just west of Apache Junction is an interesting sign on the Usury Mountains. There's quite a story behind it. Back in the 1950s, a pilot named Charlie Merritt was looking for a project for his Boy Scout troup. He decided that transient pilots needed a navigational aid to find Phoenix, then located far to the West.


I found this old cartoon from 1956 that tells the whole story.


On Wednesday, Phil and I went back to Superstition Skies to see our favorite band, Brant and Kerry, who play there from 5-8. We met up with Sandie and Jim of "Where Are the Dixons Today?" They are a really fun couple and we're planning to meet up again next Wednesday. Anybody want to join us?



I couldn't resist putting in another clip of B&K.

15 comments:

  1. Can hardly wait until Wednesday!!! And I am so glad you posted that story about the marker. I've wondered about it just never took the time to research it. By the way - I "borrowed" the picture of the four of us. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual a great post and really enjoyed the story about the sign on the mountain.
    Dan
    Bubbadan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good clip of the band. I'm intrigued as to how the lost Dutchman park got it's name. Is it that obvious?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you been to Tortilla Flat yet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your little video clips, they add a special dimension to your posts.

    With all the green I bet the temps are starting to go up, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Phoenix stuff, hubbys sister lives there. Man on man I wish I could go hiking on those trails it is just so beautiful over there. Stay safe :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful hiking pictures. Glad to hear it isn't too hot yet!
    I'm sure you had a great time with Sandi and Jim - they are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. glad you had a great time with Jim and Sandi!!..bring on Wednesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you pay the seven dollars? Somebody has to keep these places open.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Dixons are two of our favorite people. Glad you got to meet them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never get tired of looking at the Superstitions, either in person or in PICs. Thanks, Diana.

    Lew

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are Jim and Sandie's friends Toni and Doug, Canadians eh! We'll be watching.

    Great posts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can hardly wait to look for that directional sign! Probably have to communicate with Phoenix approach the whole time! Town is bigger than it used to be. My feets are itching to trod those trails - thanks for pointing the way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. jI know its been fun being close to your sis and enjoying time together! I spent 2 hrs on the phone with my best friend who lives in Mesa she had spent the day at the Navajo/Hope pow wow and got a nice sunburn to take home with her--
    I hate that I missed spring in the desert again...ENJOY it while while you can! Here its still quite chilly--

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!