Friday, August 14, 2015

Lake Placid and the Adirondacks


After Watertown, we moved on to Saranac Lake, NY, right in the middle of the Adirondacks, and close to Lake Placid. Our planned parking spot did not work out, but fortunately the Railroad Tour Company let us stay at their depot, since the railroad was closed for track repair. We really lucked out.


Saranac Lake is a cute little town. I loved the bear fishermen.


The first evening we were there they had their monthly "Art Walk," with musicians performing all over town. These guys were great.


The big attraction here is Lake Placid, site of the 1932 and 1980 Olympics. They bring this snow in every day.


We went to the Olympic Museum.


Can you believe I beat these 2 hunky dudes?


"Do you believe in miracles?" Well, this is where it all happened, in the 1980 Olympics, where, against all odds, the US beat the Soviet Union in ice hockey.


The various Olympic venues are spread all over the area. My favorite was the ski jump.


We walked up to the base of the jumps, where jumpers were practicing in the middle of summer.


At the moment of the jump -


And flying down!


How do they do that? Here's a close-up of the track.


The jumpers glide down a slippery tract that behaves like snow.


I was a little distracted here...


We then got to ride an elevator to the top of the larger ski jump. What a view!


Then we went to the bobsled run, where one of our group took the ride down the track, in between a professional driver and brakeman.


I also went to see High Falls Gorge, a privately owned park with 4 lovely waterfalls.


All located on a 1/2 mile hike over paths, steel bridges, and walkways.

3 comments:

  1. I live just outside of Syracuse and South of Watertown. I have been to all the places you recently posted several times (I even took classes in Watertown) and I have never seen 1/4 of your adventures for myself. Loved seeing an area through new eyes...makes me want to pack up and take my own adventure in my backyard. Thanks for sharing. Love Watkins, Bolt, and Lake Placid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Adirondacks hold a special place in my heart, spent summers there as a kid growing up. That's where I took a motorcycle trip with my two brothers a couple of weeks ago. Can't wait to go there again! :c)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!