Friday, May 6, 2016

A Rainbow That Turned into a Bridge


Seven of us WINs decided to do the boat trip to Rainbow Bridge.


It's a long trip - 2 hours and 50 miles each way, but the scenery along the way is spectacular.


We got a good view of my favorite, Gunsight Butte.


You can see how low the water is from where it was at the last time the lake was full in 1999. But they are expecting a rise in the level when the snow melt gets here soon.


Finally we got to the side canyon leading to Rainbow Bridge.


It's about a 3/4 mile hike to the Bridge. This is my first view of it, with Navajo Mountain in the background. Yes, that is snow on the mountain.


A little closer. The Native Americans believe this to be a sacred place, where a rainbow turned into a sandstone bridge.


The white man did not see the bridge until 1909. The very next year, it was declared a National Monument.


It's one of the largest natural arches in the world.


Let's see if I can hold it up!


I was blessed to get a rare view of the back of the arch.


Paul, Rosemary, Dan, Sherial, Greg, me and Lyn. It was hard to get everyone together!


A view from the air off the internet.


All too soon, it was time to get back on the boat and head home. But what a great day!

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful.... Simply beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is simply beautiful, but I've been there when there was still water under the bridge & we could get very close in our own boat. Both situations have their beauty. Becki

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was one my my most remembered moments when we visited Page back in the 1980s ... awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad they acted on it so quickly to make it a National Monument. Thanks for sharing this wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!