Thursday, June 23, 2016

Meeting Back Up With The WINs


I'm headed to Oregon to meet up with the WINs Pacific Northwest circuit, but I made one more stop by myself at Chickahominy Reservoir. What a gorgeous spot, out in the middle of nowhere.


There were several really long eared rabbits around to keep me company.


I met up with the WINs in La Pine, OR. The first day we went to the Newberry Caldera, in Newberry National Volcanic Monument, where we could see Mount Bachelor and the Three Sisters in the distance.


We hiked the Big Obsidian Flow trail. The huge obsidian boulders were just amazing.


We posed at the top with Paulina Lake and the mountains in the background.


Paulina Peak was off in the other direction.


We also went to beautiful Paulina Falls, where you get a great view from the top -


And the bottom.


The next day we toured another part of the park, and went up to the top of Lava Butte.


From the top we could see Mt. Jefferson, Mt. Hood, and Mt. Adams.


We did the Lava Butte Rim trail -


Where we saw lots of these guys.


We also went into the Lava River Cave - pitch black, so I didn't go very far. Even though I had a flashlight, the footing was a little tricky. It's the longest lava tube in Oregon.

3 comments:

  1. We did the lava tubes in Hawaii and they were huge. I'd be worried my batteries would die in the flashlight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oregon, I think, is the most spectacular state for diversity!! I'm looking forward to all your post in Oregon. Love the Obsidian and the Waterfalls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you're back with all the "kids"! ;c)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!