Sunday, January 17, 2010

Quartzsite Rocks!

It sure does! This is my favorite gathering of the year.


One reason is that I get to see a lot of my friends that I haven't seen for a while. There are also new friends to be made. So far 140 WINs are here.


There's plenty of room here in the desert, all with nice views.


The first shopping I did was at the Main Event, on West Main St. Behind this group of vendors is the Quartzsite Cemetery. I think I'll digress here...


The most famous inhabitant of the cemetery is Hi Jolly, whose real name was Haiji Ali, an Arab camel herder in the short-lived U.S. Army's Camel Corp, an experiment using camels for transportation and communication in the Southwest desert.

The experiment worked fine, but was abandoned with the start of the Civil War. The camels were set free here and roamed the area for many years.


But the main reason for coming to Quartzsite at this time of year is for the shopping! Some say it is the biggest flea market in the world. I've been coming here for many years, and hope to find some new things. I have only been to a few of the shopping areas so far, but it seems like they tend to sell the same things year after year.


I did find this combo bib/slash pacifier holder that was new. I hope to find more new things to share, hopefully more related to RVing.


I found a neat idea inside one WIN's rig -- a nifty mounting of an LCD TV.


It leaves the whole cabinet free for storage, although it tears up the cabinet door. It may be better to make your own door and store the real one.


And the big event so far was my sister Barbara's birthday. We went out to celebrate at Silly Al's, the local pizza place.

6 comments:

  1. Dont take me to MACY'S just take me to the flea market and Im a happy camper! Looks like a wonderful gathering--and happy birthday to SIS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have I ever told you how much I envy your lifestyle? I wish I were with you all to join in on the "fun and festivities!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first time in probably a dozens years I'm not out there in Quartzsite this time of year with the WINs. I sure miss it, but I'll be there in less than two weeks after you all are gone. Nothing personal. It just worked out tht way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so jealous! I love the walking and shopping and finding new things, though I'll pass on the bib/pacifier thingee. ;) Hunker down somewhere, the rain is coming to AZ, snow up here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. shopping would definitely be my favorite also, and pizza sounds yummy :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might have to steal that picture - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!