Monday, April 22, 2013

Swimming with Dolphins



Another adventure I wanted to do was to swim with the dolphins. I chose to go with Sunlight on Water, and was very glad I did. The crew was absolutely wonderful, and the captain was very good at finding dolphins.



It wasn't long before some dolphins were traveling along with us. Since they were moving pretty fast, there was no reason to get in the water here. The captain said he knew where they were going.

These are Spinner Dolphins - they jump straight out of the water and spin around like they are dancing. Of course it's nearly impossible to get a photo, because you never know when they will do it.



We ended up getting in the water 3 times, and saw dolphins every time.

Here are a few short videos that I took with my Canon D10 underwater camera. It's a great camera, and if you are interested, there is a newer version, the D20, out now. Be sure to turn your volume up so you can here the dolphins squeeking and woooooing.



I was taking a video of one dolphin jumping, diving, and squeeking, when another one practically ran me over!



Here are two groups jumping, then one group dives in unison. Listen for the woooooing.



After they dive, they swim underwater for a while before they have to come back up to breathe. LOTS of wooooing and squeeking going on here.



One group going down while another comes up.

More pictures of our day are on Sunlight on Water's Facebook page here. I wish I had gone on the Manta Ray snorkel with them too. Next time!

8 comments:

  1. Now that's the kind of swimming with the dolphins I would like to do ... amazing. Mui's driving as I write this, so I will show him the videos when we get settled in Gulf State.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My only experience swimming with dolphins was unexpected, down off Key West. While snorkeling some dolphins came over to investigate. One stayed with me as I swam back to the boat. Scared me, but was also really cool. Have had them swim while boating many times. They would swim up front, keeping up with us whenever we turned. This was in the Everglades. Love the dolphins. You got some great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to see your videos. I've been researching that exact camera (the D20) and so I'm glad I got to see what it can do. Yes, your dive with the dolphins is so much better than the dolphin experiences offered at some of the resorts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is absolutely incredible! You have quite a bucket list of neat things to do! :c)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is too cool. Makes you wonder who teaches them that stuff!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the videos. Glad you had such an amazing adventure. If I wasn't such a chicken, I could have done it too. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to do this!!!! I love dolphins and they are my favorite animal! More info at this web site.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!